I know you are here for 9mobile data balance code but below are some things i think you should also know about it.
The 9Mobile network (formerly known as the Etisalat Network) is one of the largest functioning mobile networks in Nigeria.
9Mobile sells data in different volumes to their customers. If you purchase data, it is only normal that you would want to check your data balance so as to know what is remaining.
For this reason, 9Mobile introduced a simple code for doing just that.
A lot of 9Mobile customers often ask for the code to check their data balance and from my observations, 70% of this people are new customers and people who are new to using the internet. Existing customers takes up the remaining 30%.
To solve the problem for everyone, I will be showing you the code to check your data balance and some other effective methods you can still make use of.
Code to Check Data Balance on 9mobile
the ussd code to check your data balance on 9mobile network in Nigeria is *228#. Just dial it and you are good to go.
Once you dial this code, you will get an onscreen notification stating that your request is being processed and the system will reply you via SMS.
Few seconds after, you will receive an SMS containing your data balance. That is all. The fact that this is a USSD code makes it possible for it to be used on all GSM devices. You should not worry if your phone is a smartphone or not, just dial the code and it will work.
Check via SMS
Another method of checking your internet plan balance is via SMS. This method is easy and simple, it gives the same result as the USSD code method. How do you do it.
- Text “INFO” to 228
- Or text “BAL” to 228
Whichever of the two you choose to use is ok. With the text sent, you will get an SMS from 9Mobile stating your data balance. You can send the SMS even with a 0.00 Naira account balance as it is free of charge.
Balance for Blackberry Device
If you make use of a blackberry device, the standard code *228# will not work for you. You will have to make use of a different code which is *399*2#.
Just dial the code and the system will reply you with your correct data balance. This is also a USSD code but it won’t work on all devices, only blackberry ones.
Check Using My 9Mobile App
9Mobile has a mobile application through which you can easily manage for account, this app can be used to check your data balance.
This method is exclusive to smart phone owners (Android, iOS or Blackberry), you cannot download the application if you do not have a smartphone.
The mobile application can be downloaded on Google Play-store for Android users, on Apple store of iOS users and on Blackberry world for blackberry users. Download the app accordingly and install, then launch.
Once you launch the app, you will be prompted to register. Simply provide the 11 digits of your 9Mobile phone number and complete every other registration requirement.
After this, you can then check your data balance by navigating to your account dashboard and selecting it. Note that you will need data and internet access to be able to access this.
Get it from Customer Care
The 9Mobile customer care service is available 24/7 for you to call for various enquires which includes checking your data balance.
As a 9Mobile customer, you should already know the customer care line, the number is 200.
Once you call the number, you just have to follow this voice prompts and request for what you want. Upon selecting data balance, you will get your reply via SMS as usual.
However, this method is secondary and takes some time, you might also get confused with the too many voice prompts.
This is a simple code and fast one, you get your reply in less than 30 seconds after dialing. There is also the SMS method to use and few other methods as listed.
With the information contained in this article, I believe you would find it easy to check your data balance no matter the type of phone you make use of.